SURF SURVIVAL COURSE
8 hours – High School Students
The surf survival course is designed for high school aged students and is based on eight lessons in which students learn from both theory and hands-on components.
It can be presented in various orders dependant on conditions on the day. On completion, the students will be issued with a surf survival certificate from the
Australian Professional Ocean Lifeguards Association, which is recognised by the New South Wales Department of Education. Students are required to
swim 200m in 5 minutes at the beginning of the course to satisfy legal and safety requirements.
They will also participate in the following:
– Identify potential dangers
– Safe/non – safe swimming areas
– Rip/current identification
– Wave types and how they are formed
– Sutherland Shire Councils Surf Safety DVD
– Correct board paddling techniques
– Performing board rescues with conscious / unconscious patient in both the pool and surf.
– Beach walk identifying dangers
– Emergency response procedures
– Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) on manikins.