Surf Educators International – Global experts in lifeguard and water safety services
SEI Mission Statement – To deliver best practice surf education courses, surf
skills programs and professional lifeguard services to countries worldwide.
About Surf Educators International
Surf Educators International Inc. (SEI) is an association seeking global membership and
affiliation with industry experts and highly qualified surf educators, professional lifeguards
and aquatic/water safety groups. Established due to the great need for consistent surf education
messages, professional lifeguard training and surf skills/drowning prevention programs within
Australia and Internationally. SEI continues to preserve Australian lives through relevant,
evidence based education and training and is passionate and committed to utilising its knowledge
and expertise to reduce coastal drowning rates globally.
Services – Australia & Internationally
Surf Skills & Education: Practical and theory surf safety/awareness & surfing programs for schools, families,
individuals, tour & corporate groups and ocean swimmers. Programs that focus on the following skills and
tuition, applied to all ages & abilities:
- Surf education power point lesson (identifying & managing dangers i.e. rip currents, hazards etc)
- Surf education & practical surf skills program at the beach
- Surf survival award programs
- Sport programs
- Surfing schools.
Lifeguard & Aquatic Auditing/Service Reviews: Providing councils, contractors & resorts with:
- Reviews of current lifeguard services focused on the efficient utilization of manpower and resources.
- Operational & financial efficiencies
- Design, development and implementation of a lifeguard service for areas of coastline/resorts that do not have lifeguard coverage.
- Signage audits of beach and foreshore signage at guarded (patrolled) and unguarded (unpatrolled) locations.
Supplier of Lifeguard Towers: Providing councils, contractors & resorts with:
- Fibreglass portable towers imported from USA. Used by professional lifeguards in California and Hawaii
and now being utilized at Bondi and Bronte beaches in Australia.
- Water Safety Expert Witness Capacity: Both plaintiff and defense expert witness testimony.
- Lifeguard Training Packages: Professional ocean lifeguard training and development
- Surf coach and school teacher training
- Short board rescue training
- Community, sporting groups training tailored to their needs.
- Surf Science and Research: Studying the science of the beach environment (surf, sand and foreshore).
Pioneering a scientific, evidence based understanding of rip current, water flow behavior through innovative and at times dangerous ocean measurements.
SEI promotes the results of this scientific research to a wider general audience through structured, relevant & practical surf education programs.
SEI Partners, Providers and Affiliates
- SEA Australia (SEA)
- APOLA (Australian Professional Ocean Lifeguard Association)
- Bondi Rescue Lifeguards
- Lifeguarding Services Australia
- Let’s Go Surfing
- Coffs Harbour City Council
- Aquatic Safety Consultants Australia
- Dr. Rob Brander (DR RIP)
- Maroochydore Surf School
- Cronulla Beach Swim School
- Infront Surf Craft
- rant Kenny OAM – Patron
Outcomes – SEI achievements within the first two years of operation
- Surf education programs for over 50,000 school children
- Professional lifeguard service in Eurobodalla NSW.
- Independent service review/audit of the Waverley Council and Eurobodalla Council lifeguard services.
- Signage audit of beach & foreshore signage for Shellharbour City Council
- Inclusion to the board of the NSW Water Safety Advisory Council.
- Key meetings with federal and state politicians to determine best practice services on Australia’s beaches.
- Training of more a thousand professional ocean lifeguards, professional surf coaches & school teachers
for in-school surfing programs.
- Publication of rip and surf safety brochure & information guide.
- Production of surf education power point lessons.
- Lifeguard services evaluation and training for various lifeguard teams and lifesaving clubs in
Sweden (Gotland Island), England (Devon and Cornwall), and Spain (Barcelona).
- Aquatic risk management and training for open water swimming events, professional lifeguard
services, and water safety & education activities in and around the east coast of Tokyo.
- Research and study tour of Ghana, West Africa to ascertain the need for ocean safety
education and lifeguard services along the west coast of Africa. To be continued in 2013/14.
- During an invitational tour to Dubai in 2010, the SEI team recognised that many locals drown in
Dubai – due to Arab laws only allowing local qualified lifeguards or medics to perform any lifesaving
procedures (rescues, CPR) which mean that due to a lack of trained lifeguards, most patients will either
drown or go untreated and die.
- Survey & assist in raising the quality of lifeguard services, with plans to introduce
education programs through schools along 100km coastline
Evidence based, valid and credible surf safety message that is communicated in a clear and understandable way to all.
SEI is a conduit and catalyst for expert discussion from local and international experts.
SEI provides a forum to exchange evidence and experiences to ensure that the most effective
and appropriate water safety messages are communicated to all beach and aquatic users.
The educational programs:
SEI utilises the skills, knowledge and research findings of SEI members and industry experts.
Course content is developed, course delivery methods determined and educational strategies
finalised for preventative, self-survival and rescue/emergency scenarios & advice for
beach users. SEI promotes the use of these consistent surf safety messages with all resources
and programs that are provided. The programs are designed to benefit all potential and actual
SEI utilises and promotes best practice in the content and delivery of surf safety education
resources and programs. Content and delivery methods are designed to meet the general and
specific needs of beach user and community groups. SEI monitors, assesses and reviews the
quality of its surf safety publications and programs and recommend improvements and/or
accreditation for publications and programs that meet the SEI quality standard.
Reporting and funding:
SEI prepares reports for government and non-government agencies to ensure that adequate funding
is obtained from public, corporate and government sources for surf safety education resources
Contact Person: Craig Riddington – Chairman
Office Address: Lot 1 Manly Pavilion, West Esplanade Manly NSW, Australia 2095
Postal Address: PO Box 991 Manly NSW 1655
Telephone: +61 2 9907 6586